Thursday, January 21, 2016

So you can get on with your search, baby, and I can get on with mine, and maybe one day we will find . . .  that it wasn’t really wasted time, Torn Slatterns and Nugget Ranchers


Big snowstorms have nicknames like Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse, Snowtastrophe. This snowstorm could be so white they’re calling it SnowOscars. 

When Sarah Palin endorsed Donald Trump, she kept pronouncing his “Art of the Deal” as "The art of the dill." Now Trump is in a real pickle. 

Big snowstorms have nicknames like Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse, Snowtastrophe. This next storm could knock out so much and do so much damage, they’re calling it SnowCosby. 

The trendy new diet is called “The Taco Cleanse” where you eat tacos all day. This diet used to have another name: Explosive diarrhea. 

Caitlyn Jenner announced she is writing her memoir on her journey to transgender. Not positive, but I think the name of it is “The Road To Asking For Directions.” 

Big snowstorms have nicknames like Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse, Snowtastrophe. This storm could sweep in and cover up so much they’re calling it SnowTrump-Hair. 


Since you asked:

All the time, people come up to me and they say; “Lexter, Lexicon, Lexadilla, Lexidocious, what do you think are the most underrated Eagle songs?” 

And by all the time, I mean not once ever. (And don't ever, ever call me Lexidocious again . . . )

Clearly the most underrated Eagles album is “Desperado.” So almost any song on this album outside of the hits, “Desperado” and “Tequila Sunrise”  qualify as underrated. But especially “Certain Kind of Fool” (Meisner) and “Saturday Night” (Henley).

Since the most underrated Eagle is Randy Meisner, I tend to lean to his songs, “Tryin’” on the first album and “Try and Love Again” on “Hotel California.”


But the song that is every bit as good as “Desperado” and “Best of My Love” and along the same lines, but never got its due, probably because of all the hits on "Hotel California," is “Wasted Time.”  (“Last Resort” on “The Long Run” is good too, but it is preachy, long and more of a history lesson) 


Now, I have not mentioned many of Frey’s songs as underrated, but that was part of his genius. Frey had (cannot believe that is past tense) such a Tom Petty/Bruce Springsteen/Neil Young-esque ear for hits, his songs did not often go underrated. But if I had to pick one, it would be “After the Thrill is Gone.” (Henley sings on it too)

Once again, “Wasted Time” is an Eagle song about the music industry disguised as a love song. Henley and Frey’s manic need for perfection was causing incredibly ridiculous studio delays and resulted in a lot of, you got it, wasted time. 

As always, you're welcome. 

Can someone in San Diego explain to me what has happened to Dave, Shelly and Chainsaw? I see that Jack FM is now morphed into KFM-BFM, but I do not know what that means and a Google search has not made it any clearer. Was a big "DSC" fan. 

This reminds me of when I tried to follow what happened to Grace Helbig. Grace Helbig - a YouTube sensation - was going to be the next Amy Schumer, I thought. 

First time I saw Grace was on "Funny Or Die" skit called something like "Signs You Are Not a Lady" and her good looks and talent were clear. Then she got "The Grace Helbig Show" on "E" and I thought she was on her way.

No, that show did not get picked up and Grace has slipped into the techno-nether regions of podcasts, streaming, obscure cable channels, video games, Kickstarter, Fan Fiction, Comic Con, Zebcon,  Lukazib, Mangaduzee, and other forms of ethereal app-online-babble. (Zebcon, Lukazib and Mangaduzee I just made up)

Please don't tell me this is a me-getting-older thang. Suddenly I feel like my Grandfather who referred to the phone as "That Machine."

alex.kaseberg@gmail.com