Saturday, December 31, 2011


What a day at La Jolla Shores. First there was a heavy layer of fog over the ocean, but the waves were curling and fun, so I bravely ventured out. Could surf the no-man's land between La Jolla Beach and Tennis and La Jolla Shores lifeguard tower because it was too foggy for the lifeguards to see me.

Then the fog lifted. Caught a wave, went right - like this guy up there, but only smaller, 2 to 3 feet - and got bucked. Reached out with the paddle to keep from falling and that is how I rode the wave all the way in. 50% leaning way out on the paddle, 50% on the board.





New on my stand up paddle board bucket list? Paddle around Alcatraz.

Not to say I am not easily impressed with things, I am, but I do tend to build things up so much in my head that they usually are impossible to live up to when I do see or experience them. Take, for example, the eternal flame at John F. Kennedy's grave. It was inspiring, beautiful, moving and unforgettable, but I had it build up in my mind as some colossal fireworks-shooting monument.

Here is a list of some of the things that, once seen and or experienced in person, far exceeded my lofty expectations:

Alcatraz

Washington D.C.

Mount Hood

Kathy Ireland

Silverton, Colorado

Santa Barbara

iPods

New York City, especially Central Park in Fall and Christmas

The Angel-hair pasta at El Molino in the Village

San Francisco

Wrigley Field

Kasey and Wrigley

The Grand Canyon

Mammoth Ski Resort

Sex with Jennifer Aniston (Just checking to see if you're paying attention)

Gettysburg

Flying in a plane

Maui

Big Sur

Stand Up Paddle Board Surfing

Seeing a Great White Shark 30 feet away.

Helicopter snowboarding in the Canadian Rockies

The entire area of Northern Lake Michigan on the Michigan side, especially Grand Haven, Petosky, Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel.

And of course my lovely wife and daughter, Virginia and Ann Caroline.