Tuesday, June 29, 2010


Seriously, what's not to like about this World Cups, err, sorry, World Cup?



Saw four very self-important sports writers on ESPN debating the World Cup. Two said it was a good World Cup for the US and two thought it was a bad result.

Are they stupid?

Of course it was a good World Cup for the US. Before this, if you said we would finish much better than France, Italy and England combined, we wouldn’t have believed it. Granted, they all came back to the field more than the US advanced, but still.

One writer bemoaned the fact the US lost to a country, Ghana, the mere size of Oregon. BS. Colleges with 1,000 students are capable of fielding competitive Division One soccer teams, you’re telling me a country with 23 million can’t come up with a competitive World Cup team?

And in 99% of these countries soccer/football is the only sport contending for their best athletes. Imagine of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Derek Jeter had played soccer their entire lives? Decathlon gold medalist Bryan Clay? Unleash Troy Polamalu on these skinny little twerps. Kaka would have, well, Kaka in his drawers.

When this World Cup started I thought I would only watch games involving the US. Turns out those games were almost painful to watch, the tension was so high and I wanted the US to win so much. Often, thanks to the DVR, I could only stand to watch them in sections.

But today I am looking forward to watching Spain-Portugal because I have no bias. From what I have heard, I am not alone. Many American sports fan have been won over by this beautiful game, whiny flopping notwithstanding.

Granted, we converts may not be the most knowledgeable soccer fans. When asked who I liked, Chile or Brazil I replied Chile because I have never tried a bowl of Brazil.

Badaboom.

But seriously, sports bars continue to be packed and the games just keep getting more and more exciting, USA or not. That is a sure sign that our USA team had a good World Cup. The only downside for me during these broadcasts? Alexi Lalas. Wow, that guy is tough-to-take smug. And, dude? The comb-over isn’t working.

No question this was a good World Cup for the US. The only question seems to be whether to keep coach Bradley. My answer is yes, keep Bradley. Like keeper Tim Howard, Bradley was awesome but had a bad game against Ghana. Plus he comes with his son who proved to be great.

Just make sure to hire Robert DeNiro as an assistant coach so he can teach acting to our players in the aspect of flopping. Are you talkin' to me, ref? You talkin' to me?

Did you hear?
It is reported that Heather Mills has spent her entire $24 million divorce settlement from Paul McCartney. Apparently she doesn’t have a financial leg to stand on.

Attention, Ringo Star, whatever you do, do not answer your doorbell.