Sunday, January 11, 2009

Well-known devout Christian missionary, Florida QB Tim Tebow, was flagged for taunting during the Gator's BCS win over Oklahoma by giving a Sooner player the arm-clapping Gator chop. Prior to this the only penalty Tebow received was for turning the sideline Gatorade into wine without a liquor license. 

Not to be cynical, but anyone who thinks Tim Tebow is the next patron Saint of the NFL, I have two words of caution: Todd Marinovich. Listen, nobody would like it more than me if it does turn out that Tim Tebow turns out to be Albert Schweitzer in cleats. And he seems to be on his way. But, sadly, if the NFL has taught us anything, it is that anyone who seems too good to be true probably is. 

Still don't believe me? I have nine words of caution: OJ Simpson is in the NFL Hall of Fame.  

And, no, I am not comparing Tebow to Simpson, I am just saying . . .

As I said before, when it comes to his missionary work, it is beyond great how Tim Tebow walks the walk. But all of his talk the talk makes me uneasy. 

Some NFL Hall of Fame'r who played with and or against Jim Brown, on assurance of anonymity, told a reporter that Jim Brown - who does incredible charity work gang counseling for the LA community - was the number one worst human being who ever played in the NFL. Ten times worse than the top ten worst human beings to ever play in the NFL, and that list does not even include OJ Simpson, a fairly well-known double murderer.  

Exactly what dirt this Hall of Fame guy had on Brown he refused to say, but it was obviously even more than the common knowledge of Brown's penchant for beating up women - he has done time for beating his wife - so it has to be pretty shocking. 

A forensic expert in the murder trial of Baltimore Ravens Ray Lewis said the amount of blood on Lewis's mink coat meant one of two things: either Lewis stabbed the victim or he held the victim while the killer stabbed him. But Lewis - also a devout Christian - walked on a technicality while snitching on his entourage flunky who took the fall and went to prison. 

And yet I cheered like everybody else, yesterday, when Lewis clocked that running back so hard his helmet flew back ten yards. 

Any system that tolerates so much garbage from their egomaniacs, as does Illinois with their politicians, in the NFL the potential for bad behavior and world class hypocrisy is unlimited. 

Need another example?

After spending the morning praising god for turning his life around on one of the bigger local radio stations I write for, a former all-pro, Hall-of-Fame Dallas Cowboy exposed himself to the pretty young assistant producer who was driving him back to his hotel demanding she give him oral sex.  

Why didn't she press charges against god boy? He threatened her life if she did. For the pretty a.p.'s sake, I won't say his name, but it rhymes with Schmichael Smirving. 

Incidentally, that is the same guy who sneered at me and walked away at a Super Bowl press conference when I merely inquired about the surgeon I knew - a once great decathlete - who operated on his injury.  

Hallelujah. 

New Pet Peeve:

Why is the caps lock button where it is? I NEVER, EVER USE THE CAPS LOCKS, BUT IF I HAD TO, I WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO SEARCH FOR IT. BUT IF MY LEFT PINKY STRAYS ONE TENTH OF ONE HUNDRED OF AN INCH, IT LOCKS THE FRICKING CAPS.

And don't even get me started on the OVR function on Microsoft's Word. Why can't I remove it? If you backspace, the system automatically assumes you want to write over everything you have written and I never, ever, want to do that. You have to back up and double click on OVR to stop it.  


Get this for my Charger's game strategy: going to the gym and work out with my head down and my iPod on, trying to ignore any cheering, while I record the game on the DVR. That way I can work out in an uncrowded gym - we are quitting it after this month. It is way too crowded. They oversold the memberships by ten times - and then speeding up through the commercials during the game while grilling a New York Strip with a twice baked garlic and Parmesan cheese potato with an iceberg lettuce salad.  And a cheap but good Australian Cabernet.